Wednesday, September 30, 2015

HAVE GOT VS HAVE

We use have (but not have got) for experiences and actions.
Examples:

I have difficulty telling her that I love her.
He’s going to have a sandwich for his lunch.
Go have a bath.
Have breakfast before you leave.


Breakfast/dinner/a cup of coffee/something to eat/a chart/a conversation (with someone)
A bath/a shower/a swim/a break/a rest/a party/a holiday/an accident/an experience/a look at something/difficulty/trouble/fun/a good time etc.

Have got is not possible in these expressions. Compare:
Sometimes I have a sandwich for my lunch. (Not I’ve got) but I’ve some sandwiches. Would you like one?
You can use progressive forms (am having etc.) with these expressions.
Examples:

We’re enjoying our holiday. We are having a great time. (Not we have)


Alana is having a shower at this moment. She has a shower every day.

Have got and have are also used for possessions, relationships, illness etc…
You can use have got or have (without got). There is no difference in the meaning
Examples:

They’ve got a new computer. or They have a new computer.
Dieudonné has got four brothers. or  Dieudonné has four brothers.
She has got a headache. or She has a headache.
My house has got a small garden. or My house has a small garden.

With these meanings (possessions etc.), you cannot use continuous forms (am having etc.):
Examples:

We are enjoying our holiday and that's what really shocks him. We’ve got / we have a nice room in the hotel. (Not we’re having)
I have a computer or I’ve got a computer. (Not I’m having a computer)
Dieudonné has four brothers or he has got four brothers (Not Dieudonné is having four brothers)
You have a lot of books or you’ve got a lot of books.  (Not you’re having  lot of books.)

For the past we use had (without got)
Examples :

My sister had long hair when she was a child. (Not had got long hair)
Bambale had wisdom when he was young. (Not had got wisdom)
Most people had empathy with her. (Not had got empathy)
He had two wives. (Not had got two wives)

In questions and negative sentences there are three possible forms.
Examples:

Have you got any questions?                      I haven’t got any questions.
Do you have any questions?                       I do not have any questions.
Have you any questions? (Less usual)         I haven’t any questions. (Less usual)

Has he got a girlfriend?                               He hasn’t got a girlfriend.
Does he have a girlfriend?                          He does not have a girlfriend.
Has he a girlfriend? (Less usual)                He hasn’t a girlfriend. (Less usual)

In past questions and negative sentences, we use did/didn’t.
Examples:

Did you have a car when you were living in Dar es salaam?
I didn’t have a watch, so I didn’t know the time.
Grace had long hair, didn’t she?
I didn’t want them to know what I was going to do.